Growing Preparedness and Trust In the era of the Covid-19 pandemic, the concept of whether your business, or your job, is essential has moved to the forefront of our society. According to various news sources e.g., FastCompany, Business Insider, US…
Blogging for Dollars – Is Your Content Optimized?
Blogging for Dollars may sound easy, but as every bowler knows, those strikes do not come automatically. You need to know what matters. One doesn’t just close their eyes, toss the ball and hope for the best.
So it is with content optimization. Arming yourself with the knowledge of how content optimization works will improve your digital marketing efforts greatly.
Content Optimization (or Search Engine Optimization) is how you make sure that your Blog (or content) ends up where you want it, that is, in your potential customer’s hands.
Specifically, Content Optimization is the process that a content provider (you the blogger) uses to improve digital search results and ranking.
Through content optimization, you are providing essential data that search engines will use to determine what your content — and, by extension, your business — is all about. Search engines then use this information in the search results they display for relevant keyword terms or phrases. http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2013/09/guide-content-optimization-key-content-types/
Before you can begin to optimize your content, you’ll need to know how content ends up in search results (or on your social media newsfeed, or in recommended content lists).
It may seem as if content and posts show up at random, but it is in fact dictated by algorithms used by the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Google and others. Interestingly, these algorithms are inherent in everything we do on the web.
Understanding these algorithms is the first step to optimizing your content for greater reach and visibility. The two most important algorithms to understand are Edge-Rank (Facebook) and Page-Rank (Google). These algorithms organize and decide what a user sees based on browsing history, links, affinity, and other pieces of data to decide who sees your content http://www.2040digital.com/the-impact-of-digital/understanding-googles-algorithm/.
Listed below are some of the best practices of Search Engine Optimization:
- Keywords – A word or phrase that identifies what your content is about. Keywords increase search visibility and are an essential element in optimizing content in your blog. Researching keywords pertinent to your topic goes a long way in ensuring your content is found. You’ll want to use these keywords throughout your blog including the title, headings, and beginning paragraph, etc. Utilizing a digital marketing software provider such as HubSpot or tools such as Google Adwords Keyword Tool can ease the process of identifying keywords that suit your content.
- Be Informative: Content should solve a problem or educate on an issue that your potential customer may have. Focus your blog on the topic at hand, rather than on your brand or company. A successful blog may include examples of Best Practices and links to other blogs and references as well.
- Use Images – Blog should be visually pleasing. Use of pictures is highly recommended. Easy to follow formatting is important, i.e. bulleted lists.
Inset Alt Text on Images – This ensures that search engines, which cannot always identify pictures, know what the image is about, increasing your visibility in searches.
- Use Meta Descriptions – The meta description is a ~160 character snippet, a tag in HTML, that summarizes a page’s content. Search engines show the meta description in search results mostly when the searched for phrase is contained in the description. Optimizing the meta description is a very important aspect of on-page SEO – https://yoast.com/meta-descriptions/
- Incorporate Keywords into URL – This will increase traffic flow to your content.
Statistics show that SEO produces results. For instance, did you know that 48% of consumers start mobile research with a search engine? (Smart Insights, 2016). Further, 81% of shoppers conduct online research before making big purchases. (Retailing Today, 2014). Even more interesting, the first position on Google search results on mobile has a 31.35% click through rate. (Advanced Web Ranking, 2015).
So, there you have it. Blogging for dollars means that by utilizing Search Engine Optimization best practices for your Blog/content, you will attract strangers, turn strangers into visitors, and visitors into leads, and the opportunity to convert leads into paying customers which in turn means dollars for you!